Matched Savings Program
Meet Some Matched Savings Program Graduates! CLICK HERE to learn about Natasha, Miriam, Priscilla and Nikki!
Our Daily Bread is pleased to have the opportunity to offer a Matched Savings Program to eligible clients. The Program is administered in partnership with CitiBank and Virginia Commerce Bank, and a grant from the Community Foundation of Northern Virginia. It is designed to encourage savings and improve personal financial planning to help moderate- to low-income individuals build productive assets and self-sufficiency. Participants in the program will place their savings in a designated account for a specific purpose, such as security deposit, large home appliance or hard skills job training. Matching funds are provided to encourage saving and to help individuals build savings more quickly.
ODB's match is a 1:1 ratio -- for every one dollar the participant saves, it will be matched with one dollar. One individual per household may participate. The match cannot exceed $500 per saver. These accounts are generally available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Individuals who successfully purchase one asset through the Matched Savings Program may also reapply for the purchase of a different asset.
ODB recruits, supports, and trains the savers using staff and trained volunteer mentors. When a candidate is enrolled in the program, they become an enrolled saver. At that time, ODB opens a savings account that is held at a designated financial institution. All enrolled savers receive financial management training that includes such topics as improving credit, setting up a budget and savings schedule, and the basics of money management.
The Matched Savings Program is intended to supplement and work in tandem with other ODB services to offer a comprehensive strategy for low-income families to achieve self-sufficiency. ODB will review a client’s application and determine eligibility. The saver will have one year from the date the matched savings account is opened to save for and purchase their asset.
To learn more about the Matched Savings Program, contact Marcelle Miles at 703-273-8829.
Matched Savings Program Basics
Use your savings to purchase:
• A large home appliance
• Hard skills job training
• Security deposit
• New or used car
• Weatherizing a home: Includes new windows, insulation, new roof, and other home repairs that improve energy usage/lower utility bills.
• Make minimum monthly payments of $25 into an ODB savings account up to $500 at designated financial institution within one year; ODB will match your savings 1:1 upon completion of the program.
• Meet with a Financial Mentor upon commencement of program and check in with the Financial Mentor monthly in person to show financial statements.
• Attend a 6-part credit education course offered by ODB.
Eligible Applicants Must:
• Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident
• Be 18 or older
• Meet income eligibility requirements (see chart)
• Be employed
• Have a family with one or more children under the age of 18 who resides within the same household.
Matched Savings Program Income Guidelines
Persons in family
ODB provides a variety of assistance to working families in the Fairfax County area since 1984. In addition to short-term food support and emergency financial assistance, ODB provides a number of financial literacy programs aimed at helping low to moderate income residents of the Fairfax area maintain their independence. For information on all of Our Daily Bread's programs, visit www.ODBFairfax.org