Immediate Volunteer Needs
Below are Our Daily Bread's immediate volunteer needs, but if you have a different skill you would like to share with us, let us know. Contact Us to learn more.
If you're interested in any of these volunteer positions, call the listed contact at 703-273-8829 or e-mail them at the provided link.
- Call for Artists and Performers. Our Daily Bread is seeking submissions of art work and performance proposals for our 30th Anniversary event, "Do You See What I See?" Submissions due by March 24, 2014. Event to be held May 2, 2014 in Fairfax City in Cooperation with Fairfax Spotlight for the Arts. ODB is also seeking design concept submissions for our Complete the Circle FoodRaiser Art for the Sky project. Winning entry receives $200 cash prize. Entries due by April 4, 2014. Event will be held on October 26, 2014 in Fairfax City. Information and applications available on our Call for Artists page. Please share with anyone you know who might be interested! Contact info@ODBFairfax.org.
- 30th Anniversary Event Planning Volunteers. Our Daily Bread is 30 this year, and we are planning something very different and special for our 30th Anniversary event, scheduled for Friday May 2, 2014 in Fairfax City. We have committee chairs, but we need committee members to help with the 1. Art Show, 2. Live performances, 3. Food/Bev 4. Publicity and ticket sales, 5. Sponsorships. Committees will meet 1-3 times per month, time/day of week determined once committee is formed. Event description: As a celebration of its 30th Anniversary, Our Daily Bread in association with Fairfax Spotlight on the Arts presents “Do You See What I See?”; an art extravaganza including art show and live performances highlighting the positive stories of overcoming financial hardship to achieve self-sufficiency. Contact Lisa Whetzel.
- Bilingual Financial Literacy Instructors. ODB has an urgent need for fluent speakers of both English and Spanish to teach financial literacy classes. Classes may be during the day or in the evening. Training is provided. While a financial background is helpful, it is not required. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact Marcelle Miles, Financial Literacy Program Manager.
- Financial Literacy Instructors/Mentors. Make a lasting difference in the lives of Fairfax families who are working to achieve self-sufficiency! Volunteers are needed to mentor and teach basic budgeting skills to families in crisis. Teachers will be asked to teach 1.5 hour classes once a month at various locations around Fairfax County. Mentors will be matched as soon as possible. Training will be provided. We have a special need for Spanish speakers and for volunteers to participate in a partnership with OAR of Fairfax. Regular orientation sessions. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact Marcelle Miles, Financial Literacy Program Manager.
- Run a Grocery Card Drive for Our Daily Bread. Our Daily Bread has 60 Fairfax County area families on our delivered food program and serves approximately 300 families per year who need emergency food. The best way to help them? Grocery cards allow them to use the budgeting skills they learn through our Financial Literacy Program to shop for fresh, healthy food that meets their families' dietary needs. CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Christina Garris.
- Food Collection and Delivery Groups. ODB needs local organizations (businesses, community groups, neighborhood or social groups, churches) to commit to collecting non-perishable food items and making a delivery to 30 of our Food clients on one or two Sundays per year. Groups may also collect funds or grocery cards to satisfy a delivery or donate funds at www.ODBFoodBridge.org and ODB will purchase gift cards at a bulk discount and send them to our clients on your group's behalf. Our clients love receiving grocery cards so they can purchase fresh food. We have many holes in our food delivery calendar this year. Can your company, organization or congregation help? CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Christina Garris, our Food Program Manager, for more information.
- Office Assistants. Our Daily Bread needs Volunteers in our Fairfax City office who can assist with data entry, recordkeeping and general office tasks. Attention to detail and computer literacy/familiarity with MS Office suite are important. Familiarity with MS Excel a huge plus. Must be able to volunteer during ODB's regular office hours: 10 a.m .to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Your volunteer support is critical to helping free up our staff to spend more time and energy assisting our clients. Contact Mila Cobos.