Immediate Volunteer Needs
Below are Our Daily Bread's immediate volunteer needs, but if you have a different skill you would like to share with us, let us know. Contact Us to learn more.
If you're interested in any of these volunteer positions, call the listed contact at 703-273-8829 or e-mail them at the provided link.
- Bring a Team to Complete the Circle! Registration Encouraged by Oct. 9. Our Daily Bread and Lorton Community Action Center will hold our Complete the Circle FoodRaiser on November 8 in Fairfax City. The event is a fun Art for the Sky project and community festival to raise awareness about hunger and need in the Fairfax County area and critical food and funds to help our struggling neighbors. Bringing a team to the event is a wonderful group community service project for businesses, community organizations, churches, youth groups and families. Need Community Service Hours? You and your team mates can earn community service hours for participating in the event -- extra service hours awarded for showing that you organized and recruited the team! Team and Individual registration and more information on our Complete the Circle page. READ the Service Project Alert. WATCH the video from Complete the Circle 2014 to see why you and your friends will love being a part of this fun and meaningful event! Contact Jennifer Rose.
- Sponsor a Family for the Holidays (Great Group or Family Service Project!) Our Daily Bread's Holiday Program is gearing up to provide Thanksgiving and December meals and gifts for children in December to approximately 3,000 individuals and families in need in the Fairfax County area. We will have a great need for individuals, families and groups to sponsor our families by providing meals and/or gifts. Sponsoring a family for the holidays is a fun and rewarding group service project. Contact Jill Beres.
- Naomi Project Mentor: Training Day Oct. 24: Mentors for our Naomi Project Program are paired with a new or expecting mom in Northern Virginia who needs some extra help taking care of herself and her baby to get her family off to a great start. A very rewarding way to volunteer! The next Mentor training day is Sat., Oct. 24, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Fairfax City. CLICK HERE to learn more about the volunteer opportunity and how to register. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Complete the Circle: Volunteer Photographer/Group Photos. Our Daily Bread needs a volunteer photographer to help us at our Complete the Circle FoodRaiser event with Lorton Community Action Center on November 8 in Fairfax City. Many teams will be participating in this fun charity event where we will create an Art for the Sky photo. We already have one volunteer photographer who will take photos of the teams, but with so many teams, and the short time-frame to take photos, we would like another volunteer on hand to help out. Do not need to be a professional, but must be comfortable taking charge of a group and helping them get positioned quickly for a quick photo. CLICK HERE to learn about Complete the Circle. Contact Heather Webb.
- Holiday Mailing (Oct. 14 & 15). Help us assemble a mailing about our Holiday Program to let our supporters know that registration is open for them to Sponsor a Family for the Holidays! We need help at our office, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Wed., Oct. 14 and Thurs. Oct. 15 to assemble and label the mailing. Register on our Sign Up Genius. Contact Mila Cobos.
- Holiday Volunteer Opportunities. Our Daily Bread's Holiday Program is gearing up to assist approximately 3,000 individuals and families in need in the Fairfax County area for Thanksgiving and December holiday meals and gifts for children. We will need community members to Sponsor families for the holidays, and will also need volunteers to: Help in our office during our core hours (Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.) or serve as volunteer translators to provide translation assistance to donors who are sponsoring families who do not speak English (this opportunity can be done over the phone or via text or email; Spanish-English translation is greatest need). See our Holiday Program page to learn more about the Holiday Program. Contact Jill Beres to learn more or volunteer.
- GREAT NEED: Run a Grocery Card Drive for Our Daily Bread: Group Project. Our Daily Bread has many holes in its food delivery calendar to deliver grocery cards/food to our Food Bridge families. Can your organization help? We have 60 Fairfax County area families on our delivered food program and serves approximately 300 families per year who need emergency food. The best way to help them? Grocery cards allow them to use the budgeting skills they learn through our Financial Literacy Program to shop for fresh, healthy food that meets their families' dietary needs. CLICK HERE to learn more. READ the Fairfax Woman article. Contact Christina Garris.
- Probono Attorney, Immigration Specialty. Our Daily Bread is seeking a legal professional with experience in the Commonweatlh of Virginia to provide front-line legal guidance to our clients, who are Fairfax County area residents who are working with us toward improving their financial outlook and achieving financial self-sufficiency. There would be absolutely no expectation that the volunteer represent a client. We are particularly interested in assistance from someone who specializes in immigration law. The attorney is asked to provide action items the client can do themselves without paying an attorney. The volunteer could either set up a regular phone hotline to take calls, or provide an email address for which to answer questions, and arrange for a follow-up phone call with the client. This volunteer activity may be performed almost exclusively by phone and email when it is convenient to the volunteer. Contact Marcelle Miles.
- Assemble Food4Thought Weekend Food Packs for Kids: Our Daily Bread’s Food4Thought Program partners with social workers and parent volunteers at select Fairfax County Public Schools to provide technical assistance and support for them to send home food for the weekend in the backpacks of children in their schools who receive food assistance at school during the week and may potentially go without food over the weekend. Businesses, community organizations and families can help our partner schools help their kids by donating the food and assembling packs that will be delivered to the schools for distribution to children who need them. Please note that groups who wish to participate in this project must provide the food that goes in the packs. CLICK HERE to see details about this volunteer project. Contact Christina Garris.
- Volunteer Financial Planners (Alexandria area). Our Daily Bread has an urgent need for Volunteer Financial Planners (FP), who will help adult individuals plan the use of their income, savings, and investments (if any). Clients are typically struggling with credit and debt issues. FPs will provide a one time, 45-60 minute counseling session to help clients examine their immediate financial situation and help them create a course of action to address concerns. Clinics are held at United Community Ministries in Alexandria. Financial Planners arrive between 6:00 - 6:30 pm to begin counseling clients. Plan for 2-3 hours of volunteer time per clinic. CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Carole Rogers.
- Bilingual Financial Literacy Instructors. ODB has an urgent need for fluent speakers of both English and Spanish to teach financial literacy classes. There are several upcoming classes in late September through November where instructors are needed. Training is provided. While a financial background is helpful, it is not required. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact Marcelle Miles, Financial Literacy Program Manager.
- Financial Literacy Instructors/Mentors. Make a lasting difference in the lives of Fairfax families who are working to achieve self-sufficiency! Volunteers are needed to mentor and teach basic budgeting skills to families in crisis. Teachers will be asked to teach 1.5 hour classes once a month at various locations around Fairfax County. Mentors will be matched as soon as possible. Training will be provided. We have a special need for Spanish speakers and for volunteers to participate in a partnership with OAR of Fairfax. Regular orientation sessions. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact Carole Rogers, Financial Literacy Program Assistant.
- Food Collection and Delivery Groups. ODB needs local organizations (businesses, community groups, neighborhood or social groups, churches) to commit to collecting non-perishable food items and making a delivery to 30 of our Food clients on one or two Sundays per year. Groups may also collect funds or grocery cards to satisfy a delivery or donate funds at www.ODBFoodBridge.org and ODB will purchase gift cards at a bulk discount and send them to our clients on your group's behalf. Our clients love receiving grocery cards so they can purchase fresh food. We have many holes in our food delivery calendar this year. Can your company, organization or congregation help? CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Christina Garris, our Food Program Manager, for more information. READ the Fairfax Woman article.
- Naomi Project Mentor: Mentors for our Naomi Project Program are paired with a new or expecting mom in Northern Virginia who needs some extra help taking care of herself and her baby to get her family off to a great start. A very rewarding way to volunteer! The next Mentor training day is Sat., Oct. 24, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Fairfax City. More training opportunities will be available in 2016. CLICK HERE to learn more about the volunteer opportunity and how to register for the Oct. training. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Office Assistants. Our Daily Bread needs Volunteers in our Fairfax City office who can assist with data entry, recordkeeping and general office tasks. Attention to detail and computer literacy/familiarity with MS Office suite are important. Familiarity with MS Excel a huge plus. Must be able to volunteer during ODB's regular office hours: 10 a.m .to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Your volunteer support is critical to helping free up our staff to spend more time and energy assisting our clients. Contact Mila Cobos.