Immediate Volunteer Needs
Below are Our Daily Bread's immediate volunteer needs, but if you have a different skill you would like to share with us, let us know. Contact Us to learn more.
If you're interested in any of these volunteer positions, call the listed contact at 703-273-8829 or e-mail them at the provided link.
- Naomi Project Mentor Training, June 6. The Naomi Project, a Program of Our Daily Bread, provides mentoring assistance to new and expectant mothers in our community who need a little extra help to get their new or growing family off to a great start. The Program's next training session for new mentors will be on Saturday, June 6 in Fairfax City. CLICK HERE for detailed information.
- GREAT NEED: Run a Grocery Card Drive for Our Daily Bread: Group Project. Our Daily Bread has many holes in its food delivery calendar to deliver grocery cards/food to our Food Bridge families. Can your organization help? We have 60 Fairfax County area families on our delivered food program and serves approximately 300 families per year who need emergency food. The best way to help them? Grocery cards allow them to use the budgeting skills they learn through our Financial Literacy Program to shop for fresh, healthy food that meets their families' dietary needs. CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Christina Garris.
- Web Site Development Assistance for Client. Our Daily Bread has a client who is working toward self-sufficiency by building a business. She needs help creating a simple, inexpensive and easy-to-maintain web site to help with her business. Contact Sally Meyer if you can help.
- Food4Thought Volunteer Project (Great for Groups!). Help Our Daily Bread's Food4Thought Program partner schools provide weekend backpacks of food to children in need in their schools! Your group can donate the necessary food and assemble the Packs to be delivered to a partner school. Project involves collecting or purchasing the food as well as doing the assembly. CLICK HERE for an information page with all the details. Contact Christina Garris.
- Volunteer Financial Planners (Alexandria area). Our Daily Bread has an urgent need for Volunteer Financial Planners (FP), who will help adult individuals plan the use of their income, savings, and investments (if any). Clients are typically struggling with credit and debt issues. FPs will provide a one time, 45-60 minute counseling session to help clients examine their immediate financial situation and help them create a course of action to address concerns. Clinics are held at the Sacramento Neighborhood Center, 8792-E Sacramento Drive, Alexandria, VA 22309. Financial Planners arrive between 6:00 - 6:30 pm to begin counseling clients. Plan for 2-3 hours of volunteer time per clinic. CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact AJ Bennett.
- Bilingual Financial Literacy Instructors. ODB has an urgent need for fluent speakers of both English and Spanish to teach financial literacy classes. There are several upcoming classes in late September through November where instructors are needed. Training is provided. While a financial background is helpful, it is not required. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact Marcelle Miles, Financial Literacy Program Manager.
- Financial Literacy Instructors/Mentors. Make a lasting difference in the lives of Fairfax families who are working to achieve self-sufficiency! Volunteers are needed to mentor and teach basic budgeting skills to families in crisis. Teachers will be asked to teach 1.5 hour classes once a month at various locations around Fairfax County. Mentors will be matched as soon as possible. Training will be provided. We have a special need for Spanish speakers and for volunteers to participate in a partnership with OAR of Fairfax. Regular orientation sessions. See our Financial Literacy Volunteer page for more info. Contact AJ Bennett, Financial Literacy Program Assistant.
- Food Collection and Delivery Groups. ODB needs local organizations (businesses, community groups, neighborhood or social groups, churches) to commit to collecting non-perishable food items and making a delivery to 30 of our Food clients on one or two Sundays per year. Groups may also collect funds or grocery cards to satisfy a delivery or donate funds at www.ODBFoodBridge.org and ODB will purchase gift cards at a bulk discount and send them to our clients on your group's behalf. Our clients love receiving grocery cards so they can purchase fresh food. We have many holes in our food delivery calendar this year. Can your company, organization or congregation help? CLICK HERE to learn more. Contact Christina Garris, our Food Program Manager, for more information.
- Office Assistants. Our Daily Bread needs Volunteers in our Fairfax City office who can assist with data entry, recordkeeping and general office tasks. Attention to detail and computer literacy/familiarity with MS Office suite are important. Familiarity with MS Excel a huge plus. Must be able to volunteer during ODB's regular office hours: 10 a.m .to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Your volunteer support is critical to helping free up our staff to spend more time and energy assisting our clients. Contact Mila Cobos
- Resume Writing Assistance for Clients. Our Daily Bread is seeking volunteers who are experienced with the Federal and/or non-federal resume writing, and would be willing to work with our clients to provide edits, reviews and feedback, as well as with cover letter writing assistance with their resumes. Volunteers should be knowledgeable about resume formatting and styling, use of keywords, bullets and language so that our clients' strengths are highlighted. Clients receiving this assistance are in our Financial Mentoring or Project BRIDGE Programs, and are committed to working with our staff and volunteers to improve their financial outlook. ODB client would first make an appointment with volunteer ahead of time. A volunteer’s time is flexible and help can be done via email and phone calls such that no personal meetings would be necessary unless the volunteer and client agree on the meeting. This would be a flexible, ongoing, as-needed volunteer position with ODB. Contact Sally Meyer.